Do you believe in fairies? If you do, congratulations! Among our wider culture, fairy belief in adults appears taboo. People may admit privately that they believe in fairies, mermaids, and unicorns, but most are uncomfortable speaking out about it. It has taken me some time to feel comfortable being a voice for nature spirits, but they need us. My personal discomfort seems tiny in comparison with the fulfillment of being in service to nature’s angels, builders, and creators.
We learn to be silent and keep secrets to avoid ridicule, judgement, and shame. We have been taught that our belief in magic is childlike and must not follow us into adulthood. Yet without magic, life becomes dull. It loses its sparkle. Without an active imagination and sense of childlike wonder our creativity dries up. Negativity sets in.
If you trace your lineage back in time, you will find ancestors who had close relationships with fairies, little people, mahune, nagas, djinn, or nature elementals like dragons, gnomes, mermaids, or wind serpents. When humans were connected to the earth’s cycles and rhythms, they had close, intimate relationship with the spirit of nature. They honored and respected the power of the elementals and nurtured and cared for the spirits of the land, water, trees, and sources of their food, shelter, medicine, and spiritual nourishment.
If we open ourselves to remembering our relationship with fairies and nature spirits in the spirit of re-connection, we honor our ancestors. Maybe the fairy that comes to you in your dream is the same fairy that worked with your great-great-great grandmother. A simple desire to re-connect will help open the gateways to their realms, and I will be sharing some nature connecting rituals with you.
In my lineage, I continue learning how to engage with my fairy heritage. It was helpful to recognize that my Celtic ancestors had ceremony and ritual that included fairies, nature spirits, and little people. Somehow, this idea that fairies and nature spirits were part of my ancestral religion touched me deeply—like a remembering. Fairies were a sacred part of life—not just cute Disney-esque winged creatures. Claiming this part of my bloodline fired me up to express this aspect of myself even more. I am calling back what was lost by reclaiming my roots. I am calling back the religion that millions were persecuted for believing.
Because of the massive amount of migration on this planet it helps to learn about fairies from your homelands and to connect with local fairies and nature spirits where you live so you can honor the spirits of the lands and ancestors who live(d) here. Relationship with all the spirits of land help you find a sense of peace and belonging. Bringing an intention of respect and honoring to the homelands of indigenous people and their ancestors help transform the land and people that live here now or in the past.
We are in a time on the earth when we are creating new realities with our thoughts, beliefs, and actions. Each one of us contributes to the greater field of energy. Collectively, we change the world when we gather and cultivate our true beliefs and anchor them like templates for new paradigms to take energetic shape. Reclaim your fairy roots or love for nature spirits!
Believing in fairies and nature spirits creates a bridge of oneness with all of Creation and grounds new ways of being for future generations to come. Let’s make it easier for our children to retain their beliefs and for nature to thrive. Nature spirits infuse our landscapes and lives with positive delight. Magic is needed now more than ever. Let’s help nourish the energy of nature by imagining—dreaming in—positive, ideal conditions for all.
When we take our belief in fairies one step further by acting on our impulse to relate one-on-one with them, follow their promptings, and our intuitive guidance, we build loving relationship. For example, giving a crystal to a fairy is a signal that we have stepped through the doorway with a desire and intention to create an even deeper bond. Over time our bond grows, and we learn to trust each other and find ways to communicate.
Engaging in co-create relationships lead to magic encounters, thriving gardens, renewal and restoration of land, and healthy water. We open the way for fulfilling community relationships that reach all beings of nature. Working in council with fairies is where the magic begins.
Here are some Nature Rituals to help you connect with fairies:
• Make an altar for the fairies (gnomes, unicorns, or mermaids) of your land using flowers, crystals, driftwood, stones, statues, decorative items, or a bowl to place regular offerings—gifts. Fairies love presents as well as your presence. Visit the altar and ask for communication.
- Plan and plant a garden dedicated to a nature spirit. At Prairie Star we have planted a Unicorn Garden for the stars, a garden for the Blue Elf, a garden for native plant spirits, and a rose garden for the fairies. Have fun with it. Ask the fairies to help guide you to what they need.
- Adopt a rock or tree and talk to it, give it offerings, make decorations for it. I noticed that several rocks in our backyard appear to be a sea serpent partially exposed. After getting to know these rocks, they asked me to sit on top and ride them like a dragon. Upon doing this, the rock seemed to awaken its sea serpent energy. I’ll never look at them in the same way again.
- Listen to the fairies and nature spirits. In a quiet voice, I heard: “Do you want to see the Unicorn Temple?” I said, “Yes, show me.” I followed their lead and now enjoy a space on the land for adult and baby unicorns. They have become an important part of spreading healing, purity, joy, and innocence. The unicorns support our creativity, offer master healing, and give us courage to step out and speak about fairies.
- For more nature rituals and ideas of how to connect and play with fairies, unicorns, mermaids, and nature spirits, join the Unicorn Garden Club (monthly subscription $12) at NatureSpiritAlchemy.com. It is rewarding to help our planet, and it can be joyful and fun, too. 888 link